Board of Directors
|This article may require cleanup. The specific problem is: update to reflect Clan 2016 changes concerning BLBOD. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please help improve this article if you can. (April 2016)|
a sort of officer
What is it?
A board of directors is a group of individuals chosen by the stock holders of a company to promote their interests, or in the case of a not-for-profit corporation by its members, by the previous Board or through some other mechanism in its by-laws or by statute in the case of a public corporation.
In terms of Amtgard, Kingdoms have a board of directors elected by their dues paid populace. They typically serve one year. The Monarch and Prime Minister are automatically members, typically there are five other at-large members on the board of directors. The Board will typically have a President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. The actual make-up of the board may vary from kingdom to kingdom.
Typically the Board of Directors will be responsible for all dealings with outside organizations, such as contracts, funding, legal situations, insurance and so forth.
Meetings of the BoD
This varies form Kingdom to Kingdom. And is usually noted in the P&Ps of the BoD or in the individual kingdom's Corpora. For instance the Kingdom of Dragonspine has regularly scheduled meetings on the first Monday of every month. While in the Celestial Kingdom unless there is a petition submitted to the BoD meetings are held on the Sunday following Midreign and Coronation.
Examples of BoD rules
This is an excerpt taken from the Goldenvale Corpora. Your particular kingdom may vary.
1.5 Board of Directors (or B.O.D.):
- 1.51 Five group members shall be chosen by open ballot to serve in this capacity.
- 1.511 An election for the B.O.D. will be held once a year during the first week in January.
- 1.512 The Monarch and Prime Minister will hold automatic seats on the B.O.D. during their terms in office.
- 1.52 The B.O.D. will have no power to change, alter, or otherwise affect the rulebook(s) or Corpora.
- 1.53 The B.O.D. will work with the Monarch and Prime Minister in areas where the group has dealings with various government agencies and their institutions and laws.
- 1.54 The B.O.D. has no status in the order of precedence, and no jurisdiction over internal group functions.
- 1.55 The B.O.D. shall meet to discuss business not less than once every three months.
- 1.56 The B.O.D. shall choose the following corporate officers:
- 1.561 Membership officer and designated agent (i.e.- Secretary)- responsible for maintaining a mailing address for the Amtgard corporation. Will work with the treasurer under the authority of the B.O.D. to handle all corporate business with all government agencies and organizations. Shall list the minutes of all B.O.D. meetings.
- 1.562 Treasurer shall maintain an accurate record of all corporate income and expenditures, specifically in the case of government audits. Will be required to work closely with the Prime Minister in these areas.
- 1.57 Scheduled BOD meetings may be closed to the populace, but the minutes of the meetings must be printed and made available to the populace within four weeks of that meeting.
- 1.5A Members of the BOD must be at least 18 years of age.
The Burning Lands Board of Directors, ("BLBOD" for short) additionally controls the copyright to the Rulebook, accepts Contracts from new Amtgard Chapters, and approves petitions from groups aspiring to kingdom status before going to vote by the Circle of Monarchs.
There is considerable sentiment for the creation of an Interkingdom Board of Directors ("IKBOD"), which would in some share control of the game between all the kingdoms, but the exact method of this is unclear, and has thus far been opposed by the BLBOD.
In some ways the Circle of Monarchs now fills this function, voting on changes to the Rulebook, and initiatives like award standardizations and new Kingdom Petitions.
Back to the Officers page.